Friday, June 15, 2012

FOREIGN CINEMA::::MONOCHROMATIC::::REVIEW


I recently received my copy of Foreign Cinema's new release - Monochromatic. In fact, it was out of the mailman's hands and in mine less than an hour before I was playing it through for the first time. I already knew the band had good-to-my-ears music and couldn't wait! This was the first vinyl I had purchased in more than a decade, but, due to not having a turntable, I played the CD and have kept the vinyl for a keepsake!

rainfall - just like the title, the tune starts with a few plops, and then trickles and drips, backed by bass and topped by Dave's drifting vox.

airport - a cyclic, boom-backed intro is followed by guitar and vox. A saw-effect and fairy-wail add to the musical interest. (Pidge my pigeon friend likes this track, best!) The track fades out...

palace of fine junk - clunking into the tune, the vox and drifty music closely follow, with plenty of clunk-bopping - like a robot dancing - to sway along to; there are also guitar bounces.

the world won't stop - sonic beats and tinkly trickles start this track. It soon adds a space-xylo and vox. It guitars out.

candy and cocktails - sliding and wobbles start the track. There are drum beats and electronic-claps to nod along to and a guitar melody to sway along to.

saudade - drums and mist intro, followed by 'drift-in-trance' floaty-headedness. This track swirls around in your head and is great for if you need to fall down into relax-mode - just let that music into your head and space out!

vampire empire - bop-crash intro, soon joined by waverings and cream-sponge vox.

chrysanthemum - a violinic squeal and electro bump-beat start the track, before the regular bass-n-guitar are accompanied by twangys and electro-saws. This tune then swirls inside the head with soft drum-beats, settled by the vox.

The package comes in a white LP slip with art-print face and includes a CD copy for those of us who no longer have turntables. (Alas, mine died on me many years ago....) I am on my 5th play-thru just hours after the album arrived - but I am leaning toward rainfall and candy and cocktails as my favs - so far! You can find out more about the band - which comprises of Dave Han, Natalia Silva and Brandon Chaves - HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment